WHY I AM A RACIST and what i can do about it
This is by no means an all inclusive list, mainly because I’m making the list from my viewpoint, and I’m sure I am missing something. Maybe a lot of things.
- I believe people of color are special. Why? Well probably because they are colorful. White people look boring. They are pasty, and, well they are white. But I look at a black, brown, red, or yellow person, and I’m thinking, hey will you look at that! I just want to go up and give them a hug. But I think this is racist if I don’t automatically think they are just another person. So how could I possibly be color blind? I used to(when we could be around each other)just watch all the people going by in the mall or whatever. What I saw was mostly white people as pasty, white, and self absorbed. But the black, brown, red, or yellow people were engaged in life around themselves, and they were colorful of skin and spirit. I’m a racist.
- I have heard it said that if you are not anti racist that you are by default a racist. There is no space for a non racist. And I agree. I know I have much to learn about being a anti racist, and I realize that until I have become a full grown anti racist, I am indeed a racist.
- Outside of being a racist against people of color, I also have a deep hatred of a whole host of things white people do. Selfish,greedy,lazy, and general all around little bitches. Evolved from slave owners! I am a racist.
- Probably the biggest reason I am a racist is because I am white, and have been all my life. During that time I have benefited from white privilege, while not doing a thing about it. I went along through life thinking I was a good and loving person while I benefited from the color of my skin. Being blind to the facts whether willingly or not is just stupid racism. I haven’t been anti racist enough to blot out the racist part of me. Telling people of color that I love them means nothing if I cannot get something done about the inequality. A true racist.
- And finally, but probably not all inclusively I am racist because I choose to live in a racist country that was built upon the backs of the oppressed. Oppressed because of the color of their skin. The only way to change that fact is to change the country, or leave it. For now I am choosing the change it route. Even if I can never not be a racist, I am going to do my best to be a good one where you can’t see the racist part because of the dominant anti racist part. I remember a cute saying from my childhood. It goes”Are you a good witch or a bad witch?” I want to be a good one. But I don’t even know if there is such a thing.